As I prepare for agency visits, my thought process goes to E&O Risk Management Resources. In reviewing the E&O happens website at www.iiaba.net/eohappens I find an interesting publication called: “Swiss Re Corporate Solutions: Attorney Survey of Agents E&O Litigation” Someone obviously had a sense of humor when they put this together ~ it gives insight into the minds of the E&O Defense Counsel ~ the first section is about getting to know them ~ their greatest strengths, what makes them smile and what profession they would be if not an attorney – this may surprise you. (We are a relationship business ~ right!?) But on a more serious note, this publication offers guidance – some we discuss in our E&O Loss Control classes, but others, not so much.
Here is the list of topics covered in this 24 page publication:
1) Common Allegations
2) Things to Remember when Claims Occur
3) Most Common Agent Errors Attorneys See
4) Preventing E&O Claims
5) Prevailing When it Happens to You
6) What’s Exposing Your Agency?
7) What’s in your File – Good Documentation?
8) Naughty or Nice: Checklists
9) Lessons Learned: Cases with Happy Endings
10) Preparing and Participating in Depositions
11) Preparing and Participating in Mediations
12) Emotions During the E&O Claims Process
13) It Takes Time to Make a Claim Go Right
14) What Should You Be Looking For In a Claims Department
E&O claims do happen – an error, an omission or just because the insured made a decision that comes back to bite them. This is a good read for all agency staff. If we write your E&O insurance, you can download this publication by going to: www.iiaba.net/eohappens. If we don’t, just give us an opportunity to quote your insurance by providing a completed copy of your current carrier’s application and we’ll provide a copy of this publication.