Guess what? I bet you didn’t know about something on our website…
If you visit our staff listing page and click on anyone’s photo, it will take you to a “secret” page that will you tell you all sorts of interesting (and perhaps not so interesting?!) tidbits about all of your favorite IIANC staff members!
Since you’re probably too busy to click through every single person on there… we’ll do you a favor and tell you all about each person on our blog, one department at a time. (Since I know you’re reading this blog anyway!)
Today I give you the Executive Leadership & Governmental Affairs team… Enjoy!
Aubie Knight, CIC, CRM
Chief Executive Officer
Aubie works with the Board of Directors to help set the strategic direction and vision of the association. He is then responsible for leading the staff in the implementation of the tactics needed to move the organization in that direction. Aubie is a Past Chairman of the Georgia Society of Association Executives, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Association Executives of North Carolina. He is also a current member of the Board of Directors for TrustedChoice.com, National Alliance for Insurance Education, and serves as President of the Independent Agents Association Executives. Aubie loves spending his weekend time with his wife and daughters (he has five!) A native Georgian, Aubie is a graduate of the University of Georgia, and a huge Bulldog fan. GO DAWGS!
Fun facts about Aubie:
- He loves competing (in anything!) and has completed dozens of triathlons, road races, mud races, obstacle course races, half-marathons, one marathon, and still plays in a basketball league (yes, the over 40 League!)
- He’s a big fan of craft beer, and enjoys visiting different breweries and trying unique beers.
- He won Mutual of Omaha’s “Rookie of the Year” sales award in 1992. The prize for winning was a trip to games 3 and 4 of the 1992 World Series in Toronto. Even though his Braves lost both games in heartbreaking fashion, Aubie credits this trip for getting him hooked on the insurance business
Vice President of Governmental Affairs
As Vice President for Governmental Affairs, Joe spearheads IIANC efforts on state legislative and regulatory matters involving the NC Department of Insurance and other state agencies, and the NC General Assembly; he also leads efforts to raise money for IIANC PAC and InsurPac (our state and federal political action committees), and coordinates with IIABA staff on getting IIANC members engaged on federal issues that impact independent agents. Working with the IIANC Board and Government Affairs committee, which he staffs, Joe shepherds the process of identifying, researching and creating proactive advocacy strategies on public policy issues of interest to IIANC members.
Joe is a Raleigh native and UNC alumnus, and has worked in politics in Washington, DC, and North Carolina for most of his adult life. In addition to being a lobbyist, he’s run political campaigns and served in key positions in state government (was eligible for license plate 50 when serving as Chief Deputy State Treasurer, meaning that if the Governor and 48 other government officials all disappeared, he would have become North Carolina’s chief executive – slightly more than ‘a heartbeat away,’ but still). He’s a proud father to a wonderful teenaged daughter, an avid golfer, active in his church, and serves on several local non-profit boards.
Fun facts about Joe:
- The book that informs his life philosophy starts with the line, ‘George was a good little monkey, and always very curious,’ because he has learned the key to happiness is being as nice as you can to everyone and wanting to know more about the world around you.
- Among his favorite quotes from his father is ‘remember that any tool can be used as a hammer, given the situation.’
- Joe got sick of politics in 1992 and took a job as director of membership and annual giving at an art museum – never worked in a more political place in his life, and learned politics is an naturally occurring phenomenon in every human institution.